If you've got a bit of money and want to put some of it to good use, Philip Greenspun has some suggestions. He explains the benefit each suggestion could bring, how it could be done, and it's approximate cost.
- Donate money to Wikipedia
- Internet Content Prizes - for content such as novels, poems, plays, non-fiction books, textbooks that is published on-line. At present, serious awards for such content is -- by and large -- only when they're published on traditional media.
- Internet Classical Music Free Library
- English-language School in Peru's Urubamba Valley
- Computer Science University in Africa