Gujerati Carrot Salad
(adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking)
This very simple salad tastes great. Even though it's an Indian dish, it isn't at all spicy (in flavouring or heat). It's essentially just grated carrot and cooked black mustard seeds, which have a nutty taste that really compliments the carrot. It'd go well with non Indian food as well.
- carrots, 5, coarsely grated
- salt, 1/4 tsp
- vegetable oil, 2 tbsp
- whole black mustard seeds, 1 tbsp
- lemon juice, 2 tsp
- In a bowl, toss the grated carrots with the salt
- Heat the oil in a very small pan over a medium flame.
- When very hot, put in the mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop (this takes just a few seconds), pour the contents of the pan (the oil and seeds) over the carrots.
- Add the lemon juice and toss