Monday, May 05, 2008

Enso - a real, practical step forwards for UIs, available now and for free

So far I'm quite impressed by Enso. It provides you with a single 'linguistic commandline' for controlling common operations on your computer, from switching to different applications, to looking up something in google, and spell checking text. It's very slick. It's also free and open-source. Presently windows-only.

Probably the best way to get a feel for it is to watch this overview screencast.




I think this kind of thing is a real step forwards.

2 comments:

  1. http://docs.blacktree.com/quicksilver/what_is_quicksilver

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim,
    I'm aware of Quicksilver, and I've heard it's very good (and I wish you could get it on Windows). Both applications have broadly similar goals, but I really do think that Enso uses some UI principles that are unique on a fairly fundamental level, and which seem very promising to me -- I think it'll be interesting to see how the system matures. Enso: Quicksilver for Windows?

    ReplyDelete